Re: gnome-randr-applet and Xfree86 4.3.0 ...

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 07:14:26PM +0200, Michel D?nzer scrawled:
> On Don, 2003-04-03 at 15:21, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > Except that it will be uninstallable and unbuildable for
> > everything/everyone that doesn't have 4.3.
>
> Simple: 4.3.0 goes to experimental, as does everything that needs it.

So what's different from what we have now, apart from the name of the
external repository, and the fact that having it in experimental would
pull in a great deal of other stuff?

> > > Seriously, if you don't communicate, it seems as an opaque stuff and
> > > don't invite help, not that many people will join i know, but still. If
> > > it is too much for debian-x,
>
> I thought that was precisely what debian-x is for, to discuss X packaging
> issues.

True, but seriously, it's quite incredibly mundane.

> > The "development model" you cite isn't closed at all.
>
> What's not closed about private mail?

Well, read my next paragraph.

> > My mails to Branden are generally large, running through large swathes of
> > patches, asking his opinion on them, and every now and then, posing a few
> > questions on how to do something or rather, as well as a bit of personal
> > communication.
> >
> > I assure you it would bore you to tears. Really.
>
> Thank you for telling us what we're interested in.

It's not even that complicated, just finding out which patches to merge.

> > Porting - m68k, hppa, mips, mipsel, {free,net}bsd-*. Merging Michel
> > Daenzer's radeon-ddc patch - it doesn't apply at all cleanly.
>
> Of course, I created it against DRI CVS when it was still based on
> 4.2.99.2. I can forward you a patch against 4.3 if you want.

That's be fantastic if you could.

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne