Re: gnome-randr-applet and Xfree86 4.3.0 ...

On Don, 2003-04-03 at 15:21, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 02:33:40PM +0200, Sven Luther scrawled:
> > On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 08:10:09PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
>
> > > Core stuff, sure. But what about something that, say, includes Xrandr
> > > support in a ./configure check? What if that check gets tripped in 4.3
> > > and it then fails in 4.2? There's a lot more scenarios, too, if you
> > > stopped to have a think about it. Sure, libX11 hasn't bumped soname, but
> > > a great deal of other things have.
> >
> > What's the problem with that ? If a library needs Xrandr, then it
> > depends and build depends on xlibs (>> 4.3.0) and no problem shall
> > appear. I have done so by using a shlibs override, but this could even
> > be included in the upstream dpkg-shlibs or whatever the name of the tool
> > is.
>
> Except that it will be uninstallable and unbuildable for
> everything/everyone that doesn't have 4.3.

Simple: 4.3.0 goes to experimental, as does everything that needs it.

> Everything myself and Branden do is visible through our changelogs;

After the fact, yes.

> > Seriously, if you don't communicate, it seems as an opaque stuff and
> > don't invite help, not that many people will join i know, but still. If
> > it is too much for debian-x,

I thought that was precisely what debian-x is for, to discuss X packaging
issues.

> The "development model" you cite isn't closed at all.

What's not closed about private mail?

> My mails to Branden are generally large, running through large swathes of
> patches, asking his opinion on them, and every now and then, posing a few
> questions on how to do something or rather, as well as a bit of personal
> communication.
>
> I assure you it would bore you to tears. Really.

Thank you for telling us what we're interested in.

> > > I have enough things in my plate, both paid and unpaid, to consume about
> > > four times the time I currently have available.

You're not alone there.

> > > Want to help?
> >
> > Ok tell me, what do you need help with for the 4.3.0 packages ? I will
> > try to build them this WE, and make myself familiar with the build
> > system, and then we will see. But like said, i don't really have time
> > right now, but this may change.
>
> Porting - m68k, hppa, mips, mipsel, {free,net}bsd-*. Merging Michel
> Daenzer's radeon-ddc patch - it doesn't apply at all cleanly.

Of course, I created it against DRI CVS when it was still based on
4.2.99.2. I can forward you a patch against 4.3 if you want.