Re: gnome-randr-applet and Xfree86 4.3.0 ...

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 11:49:27PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 03:29:51PM +0200, Sven Luther scrawled:
> > Maybe things will change in the future, but that said, i think that if
> > the debian porting effort happened during the same time as the XFree86
> > developpment, it would be easier, since we would have to check the
> > XFree86 changes in order of them not to break stuff for us and not the
> > other way around. Also detecting broken stuff earlier and feeding our
> > patches more quickly to upstream may make live easier as well.
>
> That means that we'll be unable to support the version in sid, then.

No, why, it only is a problem right now because we are one version
behind the XFree86 releases. If we had ready working X 4.3 packages by
the time of its release (and 4.3 was frozen since early november, that
gives us more than 4 month time), then we can start packaging the new
developpment branch, and release it simultaneously or a short time after
the new upstream release, instead of still being fixing 4.2.1. In some
way, you do already that with your 4.3.0 packages, which are not
strictly 4.3.0, but borrow parts of head. If we had a more advanced pool
feature, like it was promissed back then, we could even have a 4.2.1
pool (on which Branden would work on) and an official 4.3.0 pool on
which you and other would work on.

> There's only a limited number of maintainers and porters.

Yes, that is the real problem. But doing double job with upstream will
not help much here.

> The issue here isn't skill or anything like it, just time, pure and
> simple.

But the attitude of Branden with regard to anything related to 4.3.0
doesn't help here. If we were to say that we will start now and try to
set up a second XFree86 team which will be packaging the developpment
release of X, still work in common with Branden on some issues, and hand
him the baby once the official release is made, i think you will
possibly attract more people who are interested in just that, and not
frigthen them away. After all, if Branden says not to ask questions
about 4.3.0 until he is ready, who is willing to risk entering his line
of fire about it ?

> > BTW, do you per chance know if there is an XF86Config way of disabling
> > the RGBA pointer ? I was developping a driver using an mid january CVS
> > snapshot, but since i updated to 4.3.0 X crashes when the cursor reaches
> > the bottom part of the screen in Gnome 2.2. I guess i will have to gdb
> > it, and now that i have a borrowed second computer, it will perhaps be
> > easier.
>
> Set an Xresource:
> Xcursor.core: 1

Mmm, will try, but maybe a "NoARGBCursor" option in XF86Config would be
nice also.

> Another FAQ entry for me to add to -0ds3v2 (patch merge from hell - 4.3
> branch, bits of HEAD, plus Michel's Radeon DDC patch), along with the
> other 3 I haven't even written yet. *sigh*.

So you see, you are no more packaging 4.3, you are already ahead of it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther