Re: gnome-randr-applet and Xfree86 4.3.0 ...

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 01:55:24PM +0200, Sven Luther scrawled:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 09:21:31PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > Well, considering 4.3.0 only runs on i386/powerpc/sparc/ia64/alpha at
> > the moment, and s390/hurd-i386 support is in the works, it still has a
> > way to go. Getting a complete 4.2.1 is an admirable goal, *just in case*
> > 4.3 doesn't make it to sarge.
>
> Yes, sure, but we will get flamed for being out of date.

Although the nv and i845g stuff is important, if it means more
stability, it's something I can live with, personally.

> > The problem is that we have by far the best packages of any
> > distribution, with RedHat our closest competitor in this regard. They're
> > of an amazingly high quality, and XFree86 upstream releases aren't;
> > they're code drops that don't work on anything other than i386/powerpc,
> > usually, and half the time they're even severely brokenn on i386.
> > Porting it to other architectures is quite a monumental task, so having
> > 4.3.0 as far as we have it is quite a great achievement IMHO.
>
> Yes, sure, but it is a fork, and thus more work.

Yeah, but there's nothing we can do about the amount of patching we have
to do. We support over a dozen architectures, that's it. XFree86 doesn't
have the same sort of release engineering or quality assurance we do.

> > I've personally stayed silent because that discussion is largely full of
> > vested political interests, and looks likely to go nowhere. I'm waiting
> > until real code comes forth.
>
> :)))
>
> I was one of the first to post in the list, and it was with technical
> issues, it degenerated since then.

I got a feeling of dread when I saw the initial mail, looked at the
archives, and my suspicions were confirmed. I posted once to correct a
misperception about KDE.

> > XF86Config-4, XFree86.0.log.
>
> A sure, but they yield nothing really important, but then, maybe i
> missed something.

Hmm, no idea, sorry.

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne