Re: gnome-randr-applet and Xfree86 4.3.0 ...

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 11:32:24AM +0200, Sven Luther scrawled:
> Now, this will work (and build) only with the 4.3.0 version of X, as the
> randr is not supported in earlier versions.
>
> So i have added a build-dependency on xlibs-dev (>> 4.3.0), and added a
> shlibs override to make the dependency of libXrandr be xlibs (>> 4.3.0).
>
> So, what am i to do with this package ? If i upload it, it will not be
> installeable with the current debian unstable, but will work with
> daniel stone's X packages. It will also fail to build for all the
> autobuilders, as there is no 4.3.0 package.
>
> That said, it will still be of value for all debian's users which uses
> daniel stone's 4.3.0 package, or maybe even for those who run self built
> 4.3.0 packages (altough they would need to override the dependencies),
> and i think there is value of having it in the archive (be it only so
> other people don't repackage it and such). And anyway, this package will
> not enter testing until XFree86 4.3.0 does.
>
> Also, i think there is plan for packaging 4.3.0 for sarge, isn't it ? Or
> will the time to the sarge release be to short for that ?

Package it in an external repository for the time being, and release it
out to sid when 4.3.0 hits sid; there's really no other way to do it.

Ralf Nolden has done a woody backport of my packages, but IIRC sarge is
glibc 2.3 now, so the sid packages will probably work.

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne