Re: unaccounted for X files

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 09:44:14AM +0100, Frank Murphy scrawled:
> So these files are created when installing the package, but the package
> system doesn't know about them? And when the package is removed, these files
> won't be removed? I would have thought that every file created with Debian
> tools (dpkg, debconf, etc.) would be accounted for.

These files are created by you answering choices in a configuration
program - in this instance debconf. Just because it's run by postinst
doesn't mean the packaging system should know about it. Running debconf
is the equivalent to running something like xf86config, only it has a
nice, unified frontend.

> Is it not true that these should be accounted for?

I don't see any reason why they should, no. Just creates headaches -
what if you don't use Debconf to create them?

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne