Re: Font loading extremely slow with the UTF-8 locale

#include <hallo.h>
* Branden Robinson [Mon, Jan 27 2003, 12:15:04PM]:

> > > This may come as a deep shock to you, but your personal opinions on how
> > > Debian can best serve its users and free software are not shared by
> > > everyone else in the project.
> >
> > Hehe. If more people would agree with you more often, you would be the
> > DPL now.
>
> Not necessarily, and wholly irrelevant to this line of discussion.  In

I am glad that you finaly realized it. It began with your first
reference to the other post, without any help in this issue but using
this mail to strike back.

> any event, I'd rather lose a popularity contest if to win it means
> sacrificing my sense of integrity.
> > I hope this does not sound slighting.
>
> As opposed to many of the other remarks you make about me and my
> packages?

Not many. And now, please don't send any further off-topic mails to the
mailing list - it is useless to have a public flamewar against you,
since you often showed to be the Napalm.

> > Sure, everybody can say that he is right and his idea is the one that
> > better fits into the Social Contract. But OTOH I showed that your
> > failure caused a violation of it.
>
> ...in your interpretation.  I do not see how refusing to violate the freeze
> guidelines set down by the Release Manager is a personal failure on my
> part to satisfy the Social Contract.  I also do not see how not
> optimizing upstream code with a patch that, to my knowledge, doesn't
> even exist yet is a personal failure on my part to satisfy the contract.

Now, we mix the things up. I tried KNOPPIX and there is the same
problem, bad, bad performance of IceWM in UTF-8 mode.

> > Will do, when the time comes. The gradual freeze caused more problems
> > then it ever should.
>
> ...in your opinion.  Why are the decisions of the Release Manager my
> problem?
> Why are the decisions of the Release Manager and FTP admins my problem?

That are not your problems, and you may not be the one to blame for the
current situation, since we all have been fooled several times with the
information about the final deadline.

> If I were DPL, I would have more responsibility for such things.  Maybe
> you take your grievances to the person who was elected to that office,
> and not to random package maintainers.

When the time comes, I will make more presure. As said, gradual freeze
was IMO a disaster and should not happen again in this form.

> > Because it shipped with working modules (read: those from XFree4.2)
> > while Woody could not support one-year-old Geforce4 when released?
>
> Why are the decisions of the Release Manager my problem?  Who prevented
> you from packaging XFree86 4.2.0 in January 2002 and releasing "Bloch
> Linux", an enhanced version of Debian GNU/Linux with XFree86 modules
> that "work"?

Guess what, I had other things to do. It would look different I would
have had more time. And yes, you will claim the same. And I think,
DanielS does the right thing this time. Debian packages should be ready
when the upstream is ready and not need another upstream release period.

> Moreover, what does Woody's release schedule and contents have to do
> with the speed of XFree86 4.2.1's UTF-8 font loading?
>
> Can you pick a point and stick to it, please?

As said, you began with pointing to other messages about my attitude -
without that useless mail, discussion could still be On-Topic.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Da kam dann das Elfmeterschießen. Wir hatten alle die Hosen voll, aber
bei mir lief's ganz flüssig.