Re: Font loading extremely slow with the UTF-8 locale

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 06:35:31PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> I tried this with Sid version, Brandens preview packages and Daniels
> development tree. In all cases, I noticed a significantly high
> (gigantic) CPU usage when applications tried to load the Unicode
> equivalents of their fonts. For example, Icewm and XChat1.9 need 5..15
> seconds (depending on the theme) to start. Once they started, they work
> fine. And normaly, with an latin locale, they start about 10 times
> faster. So could anyone enlighten me about what is going on?

I don't know why you expect help from this list after exhibiting the
attitude you did in Message-ID: <[🔎] 20030119123015.GA5750@zombie.inka.de>.

I suggest you take your query upstream.  Or maybe Lindows or Knoppix has
solved this problem, by not having any UTF-8 fonts on the system.  After
all, ISO-8859-1 is the only encoding that really matters, just as i386
is the only architecture that really matters.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     What influenced me to atheism was
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     reading the Bible cover to cover.