Re: Some annoying problems with ATi Radeon 7200!

Michel Dänzer wrote:
On Die, 2002-11-12 at 20:41, Manuel Bilderbeek wrote:
How can it be so little while having 32MB of videoRAM?

The amount of memory available for textures is the total amount of video
RAM minus the amount occupied by the front, back and depth buffers and
the pixmap cache. In your case, approximately

32*1024*1024 - 4*1600*1200*4

But during a TuxRacer game the resolution is a lot lower... Or doesn't that make a difference?

Why do almost all other GL apps work fine, even Return to Castle Wolfenstein and the Quake 3 Arena demo? I guess they need a lot more texture memory.

I agree that they probably use a larger total amount of textures than
tuxracer, but they may keep uploading textures and still be playable as
long as there's always enough room for all the textures needed to render
a single primitive...

Aha.

Still, that's to be expected at 1600x1200x32. You can try Option "NoBackBuffer",
but I doubt you'll like it. Another possibility would be running another server
at a lower resolution, with Option "DRIReinit" you can run several servers with
DRI enabled.

All that to play Tuxracer? I don't believe this is the problem... And it doesn't explain the 'shocky' behaviour of that game.

... whereas this may not be true with tuxracer, which might require
falling back to software rendering.

RADEON_DEBUG=fall tuxracer 2>/tmp/tuxracer.fallbacks

should give information about that.

I get all kinds of messages like this:
VFMT_FALLBACK from radeon_fallback_CallList
VFMT_FALLBACK_OUTSIDE_BEGIN_END from VFMT_FALLBACK
radeonUploadTexImages: ran into bound texture
Radeon begin tcl fallback Rasterization fallback
Radeon begin rasterization fallback: 0x1 Texture mode
Radeon end tcl fallback Rasterization fallback
Radeon end tcl fallback
Radeon end rasterization fallback: 0x1 Texture mode
VFMT_FALLBACK from radeon_fallback_DrawElements
VFMT_FALLBACK_OUTSIDE_BEGIN_END from VFMT_FALLBACK
Radeon begin tcl fallback Texgen unit 0
Radeon end tcl fallback Texgen unit 0
Radeon end tcl fallback
VFMT_FALLBACK from radeon_fallback_DrawElements
VFMT_FALLBACK_OUTSIDE_BEGIN_END from VFMT_FALLBACK
VFMT_FALLBACK from radeon_Materialfv
Radeon begin tcl fallback Materials in VB (maybe between begin/end)
Radeon end tcl fallback Materials in VB (maybe between begin/end)
Radeon end tcl fallback
Radeon begin tcl fallback Materials in VB (maybe between begin/end)
Radeon end tcl fallback Materials in VB (maybe between begin/end)
Radeon end tcl fallback
VFMT_FALLBACK from radeon_fallback_CallList
VFMT_FALLBACK_OUTSIDE_BEGIN_END from VFMT_FALLBACK
VFMT_FALLBACK_OUTSIDE_BEGIN_END from radeonVtxfmtUnbindContext

As a reminder: Tux looks perfect now, now white feet or arms anymore, the game is just shocky...

Hanging X servers are really annoying, by the way... You have to reboot!

True, and unfortunately it's very hard to avoid all lockups, and
investigating them is highly non-trivial and time consuming. It would
still be an idea to report these to the dri-devel list so the developers
are aware of the problems and can try to track them down when they have
time.

Yeah, I understand that it's very time consuming and all. I'll put it to the list of things I have to report to DRI list. ;-)

--
Grtjs, Manuel

PS: MSX FOR EVER! (Questions? http://faq.msxnet.org/ )
PPS: Visit my homepage at http://manuel.msxnet.org/