Re: Some annoying problems with ATi Radeon 7200!

On Die, 2002-11-12 at 20:41, Manuel Bilderbeek wrote:
> Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >>(II) RADEON(0): Will use 2752 kb for textures at offset 0x1d50000
> >
> > That's very little indeed.
>
> How can it be so little while having 32MB of videoRAM?

The amount of memory available for textures is the total amount of video
RAM minus the amount occupied by the front, back and depth buffers and
the pixmap cache. In your case, approximately

32*1024*1024 - 4*1600*1200*4

> Why do almost all other GL apps work fine, even Return to Castle
> Wolfenstein and the Quake 3 Arena demo? I guess they need a lot more
> texture memory.

I agree that they probably use a larger total amount of textures than
tuxracer, but they may keep uploading textures and still be playable as
long as there's always enough room for all the textures needed to render
a single primitive...

> >>I have 32MB! That should be enough... (I'm doing all this on a Radeon
> >>32MB SDR.)
> >
> > Still, that's to be expected at 1600x1200x32. You can try Option "NoBackBuffer",
> > but I doubt you'll like it. Another possibility would be running another server
> > at a lower resolution, with Option "DRIReinit" you can run several servers with
> > DRI enabled.
>
> All that to play Tuxracer? I don't believe this is the problem... And it
> doesn't explain the 'shocky' behaviour of that game.

... whereas this may not be true with tuxracer, which might require
falling back to software rendering.

RADEON_DEBUG=fall tuxracer 2>/tmp/tuxracer.fallbacks

should give information about that.

> By the way, I managed to let X hang a couple of times using 3D apps:
> 1) I ran the molecule3D demo of xscreensaver in the root window, then I
> moved my 'workspace' clip of WindowMaker to the left and it hung
> 2) I played CannonSmash, a table tennis simulation game, and in the
> middle of a game it hung (the X server i.e.).
>
> Hanging X servers are really annoying, by the way... You have to reboot!
> (Keyboard locked...)

True, and unfortunately it's very hard to avoid all lockups, and
investigating them is highly non-trivial and time consuming. It would
still be an idea to report these to the dri-devel list so the developers
are aware of the problems and can try to track them down when they have
time.