Re: Xprint is available

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 03:50:42PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> BTW I just recompiled your package on woody (it is big!)

yes, sorry about that.  It's actually a full X archive, with Xprint added.
I've sent a bug upstream to ask them to provide a pared-down tarball for
general distribution, but I guess it's not a top priority for them.  But you
should have seen the size of it before the font and documentation
directories were removed...!!

>and gave it a
> short shot with mozilla, the results were amazing, it worked and I
> could print http://piology.org/entities.html[1]  - If I used the normal
> postscript printer-driver of mozilla only ~50% of the special characters
> were printed.
>
> OTOH the quality was quite bad, blurred and greyish looking. Once I try
> to configure the beast it might get better.

LOL have another look at the page - the text is blue!  The blurred, greyish
effect you see is simply what you get from printing blue as greyscale.  Try
printing it out in colour!  I'm pretty sure that's all it is, anyway.  Try
the page again, setting the text colour to black.

> How does xprint print? Does it call /usr/bin/lpr? If it does, it might
> be nice to make it possible to use it without local spooling and a
> without a local lprng-daemon.
>             thanks for the work, cu andreas

I'm not sure what the fine details are for accessing the printer.  I know it
uses lpstat.  Upstream doesn't use lprng himself, but I forget which variant he
uses.  Whatever solaris provides, I gather.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A