Xprint is available

For those who have been waiting for it, the Xprint package from xprint.org
(or rather, xprint.mozdev.org) is now available.  Packages xprt-xprintorg
(server binary) and xprt-common (config files).

The packages currently coexist with XFree86's broken xprt package (and xprt
can be started using xprt-common, but you won't be able to print anything
with it).

Branden, I recommend you let xprt Depends: on xprt-common.

Let me know if you think it would be wiser to make xprt and xprt-xprintorg
Conflict: with one another.  At the moment I have the xprt-xprintorg binary
at /usr/bin/Xprt, while the xprt binary is at /usr/X11R6/bin/Xprt.  If you
think it would make more sense, I can have them both install to the same
path, with a Conflicts: keeping them separate from each other.  I've tweaked
/etc/init.d/xprint to preferentially use /usr/bin/Xprt.

The packages have already been officially compiled for i386, powerpc and
alpha, and I've tested compilation on ia64.

There is a small setup bug if you install xprt-common before xprt-xprintorg.
Worse than that, /etc/init.d/xprint still expects /usr/X11R6/bin/Xprt to
exist, even though I've configured it to run /usr/bin/Xprt.  Oops, sorry
about that.  So you'll have to install xprt as well for the time being, even
though you'll actually be using xprt-xprintorg. I'll work on fixing it
properly.

In README.Debian, I recommended setting
   export XPSERVERLIST="`/etc/init.d/xprint get_xpserverlist`"
in /etc/environment, so clients like mozilla can know the Xprint server is
available.   This works fine if you source /etc/environment from a shell,
but pam_env on login parses it literally, so you get
# echo $XPSERVERLIST
`/etc/init.d/xprint get_xpserverlist`
instead of
# echo $XPSERVERLIST
hostname:12
I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is.  Any hints?  You can set
the variable in ~/.bash_profile instead, anyway, if you need to.

I hope you all find Xprint useful :)

Drew Parsons

 "Xprint" is an advanced printing system which enables X11 applications
 to use devices like printers, FAX or create documents in formats like
 PostScript, PDF, PCL, etc.
 .
 This package provides Xprt, the Xprint server compiled from
 xprint.mozdev.org.  This version supersedes the version from XFree86
 (package xprt), which is buggy and does not work with mozilla.  This version
 provides full support for printing from mozilla, including non-latin
 characters and MathML.
 .
 Note that TrueType font support is not currently available in Xprint.

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A