Re: Xprint is available

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 02:14:06PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > In README.Debian, I recommended setting
> >   export XPSERVERLIST="`/etc/init.d/xprint get_xpserverlist`"
> > in /etc/environment, so clients like mozilla can know the Xprint server is
> > available.
>
> Using /etc/environment is broken, because it is no shell-init-file and
> has no sh-Syntax. See a current post on debian-devel and bug #17309 - I
> cannot access it now because master seems to be down (that is why I cc'd
> you, too.)

Yes, I've been following the discussion.  Upon reflection, what I really
want is /etc/profile, not /etc/environment.  I'll change the comment for my
next upload.

> How about shipping /etc/X11/Xsession.d/75xprt-xprintorg_setenv
> consisting only of
> -----------------
> XPSERVERLIST="`/etc/init.d/xprint get_xpserverlist`"
> export XPSERVERLIST

I'd be happy to do this.  I don't really understand how it works though. To
whom will the variable be available?  To every process that starts from
within X? It'll need to be available to any client, like mozilla, to be useful.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A