Re: matlab over ssh (x11 forwarding)

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Branden Robinson wrote:

>Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 01:48:37 -0500
>From: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
>To: debian-x@lists.debian.org
>Subject: Re: matlab over ssh (x11 forwarding)
>
>On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 06:16:30PM -0400, Greg Fischer wrote:
>> I've been in my dorm room, connecting to and.engin.umich.edu in an
>> attempt to use matlab.  Other X11 programs worked fine (xmaple and gaim,
>> for example), but matlab would hang after popping up with the flash
>> screen.  Today I reverted back to the "nv" driver (from "nvidia") and
>> found that everything worked fine.  Should I file a bug or just go tell
>> nvidia?
>
>Heh, sorry, but when swapping out drivers like this solves the problem,
>I'm really not sure there is much you can do *but* go yell at NVidia. :)
>
>Not that I think they will care.  People trying to get real work done
>(Matlab) aren't their target market (gamers).

Actually...  Nvidia's target customer market is the movie making
industry, and high end 3D CAD, scientific markets.  Their drivers
are created for large customers in those markets, and their
availability for gaming is merely a side effect of that.

There's more to it than that, but that is the crux of the
situation basically.  I'm not sure how seriously they take bug
reports, etc. WRT games and other applications that don't affect
their chosen market targets though.  Filing bug reports can't
hurt anyway...  ;o/

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer