Re: # Re: Gatos deb's (was: Re: xfree86 4.2.0-0pre1v3 (source,i386)available at the X Strike Force)

On Sun, 2002-08-25 at 07:20, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> >I would need 2d acceleration for my ATI Radeon 7200 (VIVO 64MB DDR) very bad.
> >I'd like to dive myself into Quake 3 mapping with GTKRadiant map editor, but I
> >can't since the ati driver shipped with the current xserver, does not contains
> >any 2d acceleration...
> >
> >Are there any plans for integrating gatos 2d aacceleration into the xfree6
> >project's next debian release.
> Radeon 2D acceleration is implemented in two different ways.  The
> first method, MMIO, is used when DRI is disabled.  The second
> way, uses the Radeon CP engine, and is only used when DRI is
> enabled.
> The problem though, is that the CP engine 2D code was not as
> fully implemented as the MMIO code was, so earlier XFree86
> releases will show a slowdown in 2D acceleration when DRI is
> enabled.  XFree86 4.2.0 has the situation improved slightly, but
> it still isn't up to par with the MMIO code.  Michel Daenzer has
> implemented a bit more of the CP 2D code in DRI-CVS, which brings
> the CP 2D code much closer to the level of the MMIO codepath.

In fact, on the reinit-0-0-1-branch in DRI CVS, I've brought it up to
par (in terms of accelerated operations - the CP is faster of course :).
I hope this will get into 4.3.0.

> I've got a patch for 4.2.0 to add the latest code, however it was
> reported as not fully working so I disabled it until I have time
> to debug/troubleshoot.

Can you be a bit more specific than 'not fully working'?

> If anyone wants a copy of the patch, let me know and I'll put it up on FTP.

I'd be interested to see the patch if there are problems with it.