Re: # Re: Gatos deb's (was: Re: xfree86 4.2.0-0pre1v3 (source,i386)available at the X Strike Force)

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, Csan wrote:

>Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 02:55:25 +0200
>From: Csan <csani@lme.linux.hu>
>To: debian-x@lists.debian.org
>Subject: # Re: Gatos deb's (was: Re: xfree86 4.2.0-0pre1v3 (source,
>    i386)available at the X Strike Force)
>
>Hi,
>
>> > is there any chance for gatos deb's for i386 and powerpc?
>
>> What do you need it for? If it's about Mach64, try
>
>> deb	http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/debian/dri-mach64/	./
>
>I would need 2d acceleration for my ATI Radeon 7200 (VIVO 64MB DDR) very bad.
>I'd like to dive myself into Quake 3 mapping with GTKRadiant map editor, but I
>can't since the ati driver shipped with the current xserver, does not contains
>any 2d acceleration...
>
>Are there any plans for integrating gatos 2d aacceleration into the xfree6
>project's next debian release.

Radeon 2D acceleration is implemented in two different ways.  The
first method, MMIO, is used when DRI is disabled.  The second
way, uses the Radeon CP engine, and is only used when DRI is
enabled.

The problem though, is that the CP engine 2D code was not as
fully implemented as the MMIO code was, so earlier XFree86
releases will show a slowdown in 2D acceleration when DRI is
enabled.  XFree86 4.2.0 has the situation improved slightly, but
it still isn't up to par with the MMIO code.  Michel Daenzer has
implemented a bit more of the CP 2D code in DRI-CVS, which brings
the CP 2D code much closer to the level of the MMIO codepath.

4.2.0 is your best bet for stable 2D right now, while DRI-CVS
provides the latest code.

I've got a patch for 4.2.0 to add the latest code, however it was
reported as not fully working so I disabled it until I have time
to debug/troubleshoot.  If anyone wants a copy of the patch, let
me know and I'll put it up on FTP.

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,