Re: xft and xfree86-truetype-fonts

Hi,

>> I've been watching Keith's commit messages with great interest.  It does
>> look like cool stuff but he's still chasing the bugs out of it.

 It's cool stuff, I think so too.

>> I'd rather wait until Keith has given some indication that the code is
>> stable before I'd even want to consider patching up to it.
>>
>> Most likely, the best approach is just to get it with the rest of 4.3.0
>> when that is released.

 XFree86 contains Xft (aka Xft1) library, it uses XftConfig scheme.

 Current XFree86 CVS contains Xft2 and Xft1, both use fontconfig
library scheme. (Xft1 was modfied to use fontconfig insted of
XftConfig)

 Xft does use libfontconfig, but libfontconfig does not depend on
X. I think perhaps some non-X programs and libraries will use
libfontconfig to handle fonts. These are not depend X.

 So, I suggests that xlibs package should not contain libfontconfig,
it will be separate from xlibs package (e.g libfontconfig.deb and
libfontconfig-dev.deb package) when we release the xfree86_4.3.0
package.

--
ISHIKAWA Mutsumi
 <ishikawa@linux.or.jp>, <ishikawa@debian.org>, <ishikawa@netvillage.co.jp>