Re: xdm 4.2.0pre1v1 troubles

also sprach Russell Neches <russell@ccs.neu.edu> [2002.07.23.0011 +0200]:
> Does gdm start and present a login window? What does it do when you
> attempt to log in? Have you tried each of the various sessions it
> gives you?

It does the same as I described for xdm in the original post. And no
session setting would make a difference.

> One of them usually starts X in some very conservative way, like with
> twm or something. That should be a good place to start. The Xsession
> option should at least fall through to X running xterm with no window
> manager. If not, it's really easy to experiment with sessions. Just
> add files to /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/ that do what you want.

I got rid of all the gdm and gnome stuff because I don't use it and
don't like cruft on my system. But I did experiment around quite
a bit, and nothing would work together with gdm as much as nothing
would work with xdm.

I'll just wait until Branden gets it fixed. Until then, `exec startx`
on the console will do. I am happily available for debugging
information...

scientists will study your brain to learn
more about your distant cousin, man.