Re: xdm 4.2.0pre1v1 troubles

also sprach Russell Neches <russell@ccs.neu.edu> [2002.07.20.2244 +0200]:
> xdm isn't configured from XF86Config-4. If X is actually running via
> "startx," you need to look elsewhere to get xdm to behave itself. It
> has its own configuration files in /etc/X11/xdm/. I don't use it, so
> I'm not sure if it is broken in a configuration kind of way, or in
> some more serious way.

I don't think we understand each other. XF86Config-4 *does* control
the X server configuration, and the X server is still started for xdm.
Or put it that way: All I've ever had to do when I got a new graphics
card, was to amend XF86Config-4. If I didn't do that, xdm wouldn't
work. And /var/log/xdm.log includes all the output I'd normally get on
stdout from startx...

> Whenever I've seen behavior like that from xdm, it's been because it
> was attempting to invoke a startup script that doesn't exist, doesn't
> have proper permissions or has the wrong ownership. It's also possible
> that the startup script is invoking something (a window manager or
> desktop system) that is dumping core or otherwise misbehaving. If
> that's the case, you are effectively logging out as soon as you log
> in.

Good thinking, but it's not the cause. The startup scripts execute
just fine. Aside, Debian's configured so as to employ .xinitrc and
.xsession from both, xdm and startx. So if it works with one, it
should work with the other.

Thanks though for taking the time to respond!

never underestimate the power of human stupidity.