Re: Unicode compose map?

NV> I recently switched to the en_US.UTF-8 locale.  In
NV> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale, I see the compose maps for the various
NV> character sets, however there isnt one for en_US.UTF-8.  As far as I can
NV> tell, this locale uses the compose map from iso8859-1 (though I couldnt
NV> figure out how/why).

This is fixed upstream.

At the time 4.1.0 was produced, we didn't have a reasonable compose
file for UTF-8, and so it was decided to stick with the ISO 8859-1
compose file for UTF-8 locales.  Current XFree86 CVS has two
reasonably complete compose files for UTF-8 locales: one which is used
in all UTF-8 locales other than the Greek one, and one with support
for Polytonic Greek that is only used in Greek locales.

(Offtopic: it is fairly clear that user preferences for compose
 sequences do depend on the user's language, and therefore the locale.
 I have no doubt that in time more locale-specific UTF-8 compose files
 will be included.

 The alternative to the compose mechanism -- using the input method
 mechanism -- is just too nasty to consider.  End of offtopic.)

I can personally confirm that the non-Greek compose file does contain
entries for the ISO 8859-2 characters needed for Polish; it probably
contains all combinations that you need, but I haven't checked myself.

Note that the above applies to current XFree86 CVS; I don't know what
the status of 4.2.0 is.  Note furthermore that if you're working with
UTF-8, you really ought to upgrade your X libraries to 4.2.0 or later.

                                        Juliusz