xfree86 4.2.0-0pre1v1 on woody, yet another

Unlike Neale Banks, I saw the failed dependency in Branden's packages and
thought I'd try a minimal-effort backport.  (I've gone down cascading
dependency hell street once or twice before, and wanted to avoid it if I
could.) The source file set wasn't much bigger than the packages I would
have needed, although I did have to add a few odds and ends, mainly -dev
versions of things.  Dropped it all into a spare 4GB partition and pointed
dpkg-buildpackage at it, and in a little more than an hour (P3/850) had a
set of packages to try.

They work pretty well.  I'd heard about the xdm problem, so I just don't use
it.  Small loss with all the starting and stopping of X I did getting the
new Radeon card running.  :-)  Speaking of the Radeon, that's one glitch I
had to deal with.  It works fine if I have the DRI module (from 2.4.19-rc1)
loaded before I startx; otherwise the startup fails.

But as I said, it's working pretty well.  Well enough that I've been wasting
gobs of time the last few days with FlightGear.  Even coaxed an inexpensive
USB flightstick into working, and now I can - sometimes - get the Cessna
into the air.  Other times the results are more... interesting.  ;-)

--
There's one way to find out if a man is honest: ask him;
if he says yes, you know he's crooked.  -- Twain