Re: xfree86 4.2.0-0pre1v1 on woody, yet another

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 10:56:13PM -0500, Martin Maney wrote:
> new Radeon card running.  :-)  Speaking of the Radeon, that's one glitch I
> had to deal with.  It works fine if I have the DRI module (from 2.4.19-rc1)
> loaded before I startx; otherwise the startup fails.

Someone wrote to ask me for particulars about this, and I seem to have lost
his email, somehow, when I decided that I could afford the time to try to
replicate it and get the actual error reported.  Either that or tin lost
it...  Nah, it was probably me.  :-(

Anyway, I can't replicate this now.  The radeon.o module is not being loaded
automagically, but that just causes the X server to report that it's not
using DRI.  I'm not sure what I saw four days ago.  Maybe I was
misattributing the errors I saw before I learned that 4.1 just didn't
support this card.  Or perhaps it was caused by not having agpgart loaded,
which modprobing radeon would have corrected; however, that seems all but
impossible, as agpgart has been loaded at boot time (via /etc/modules) for a
long time now.  It's a puzzlement.

So all that I can replicate, now, is that contrary to the description in
section 5 of the README.DRI, the X server does not automatically load the
kernel DRI module.  One caveat: I'm running this under a kernel with a long
name that distinguishes the versions of some patches it has applied.  Could
it be that the X loader doesn't like decorated version numbers?  I guess
2.4.19-rc1-pkt.p4-pe.p9 *is* a bit baroque.  :-)

--
There is overwhelming evidence that the higher the level of self-esteem,
the more likely one will be to treat others with respect, kindness, and