Re: 4.2 install report

On Jun 27, 2002 at 10:05 -0400, Thatcher Ulrich wrote:

> BTW, can someone quickly explain what I do to try the new version of
> the package?  I'm a Debian newbie, so I only really understand the
> basics of dselect/aptitude.

Pardon the monologue, but I'm stuck about halfway through this
upgrade.  I figured out that I can go to
http://people.debian.org/~branden and select a mirror site for the new
.debs, and put that in my /etc/apt/sources.list.  So aptitude now
shows the 4.2 packages for x-window-system and x-window-system-core.
I selected them for download/installation, did it, and got some
messages saying the new stuff is being installed.  aptitude shows
4.2.0-0pre1v1 as the currently installed versions of those packages.
However, nothing seems to have changed!  I exited X and restarted, and
/var/log/XFree86.0.log still prints 4.1.0-17 as the version, and the
date on the file /usr/X11R6/bin/X is still April 18...  I tried
reinstalling a couple of times, to no avail.

Any clues appreciated!  Thanks in advance :)

--
Thatcher Ulrich
http://tulrich.com