Re: kdm/wdm and ~/.xsession

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 01:21:57PM -0400, Stuart Ballard wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> > gdm ignores it, too.
> >
> > I went to all this trouble to make session management nice for the
> > various and sundry desktops in Debian, and then all the other display
> > managers force people into the corresponding desktop environment at
> > gunpoint ("because that's what upstream does").
>
> I use gdm and last time I tried it worked fine if you select "Debian"
> from the "Session" menu in gdm. Sucks that it's not the default, but it
> isn't exactly "at gunpoint", at least.

I considered that a feature, or am I doing something wrong? I switched to
gdm with my fresh installation, I can start KDE and Gnome when I pick it in
gdm, and I can start fvwm when I pick Debian. And after you used that once,
it stays as the default. Now what am I doing wrong? I really like it the way
it is (even though I don't use KDE or Gnome, but I could). It might be nicer
if there were an fvwm, or fvwm95, or whatnot selection, though. It did take
me some time figure out why fvwm would not run anymore with the fresh
install and it would be good if it was fixed (in gdm) or at least documented.
But its working for me now.

Christian