Re: xfree86_4.2.0-0pre1v1

On Sun 23 Jun 2002 02:23, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 11:45:16PM +0100, John Gay wrote:
> > I jsut finished upgrading to the new x-window-system, but the
> > configuration failed?
>
> [...]
>
> > (**) GLINT(0): Option "UseFBDev" "true"
> > (==) GLINT(0): Using HW cursor
> > (II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
> > (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
> > (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.a
> > (II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
> > 	compiled for 4.2.0, module version = 0.0.2
> > 	ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.5
> > (EE) GLINT(0): open /dev/fb0: No such device
> > (EE) GLINT(0): fbdevHWInit failed!
>
> Looks like you don't have a /dev/fb0 device.
>
> Either use MAKEDEV to create one, or reconfigure the X server to omit
> the "UseFBDev" "true" line.  (I.e., don't use the framebuffer
> interface.)
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

That might be an option, but I noticed, right after sending the last mail,
that it was using /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and xf86config was writing to
/etc/X11/XF86Config. After a bit of moving things around, and, of course,
having over-written my original and working XF86Config several times (Someday
I'll learn to back things up BEFORE screwing up my system) I was able to get
X working again in some semblance of the original settings I had before. Of
course, when I'm stuck looking at console, and trying to re-compile X and
using Xaccel, I tend to panic. Sorry :-(

I think it's getting near time for me to wipe large partitions again and
re-install a cleaner system again. Having a mix of:
1) Branden's .deb's over three versions
2) self-compiled X blindly thrown in with make World; make install
3) xig's Accelerated X server for 3-D stuff
Can't be good for the stability of my box.

On a related note, Branden, did you get the glint_rgb_fix.diff I sent you?
The week I'm sure I was using it, I didn't see any of the problems Sven said
the patch was supposed to fix.

> > It is already in 4.2.99.1, fix 128
> >
> >  128. Fix RGB/BGR inversion problem and screen blanking in the glint
> >       driver (Alan Hourihane).

I might wait until I know this patch is in your .deb's before I do the
wipe/re-install.

Thanks for all the hard work! Without you, Debian and XFree86 would be much
poorer.

Cheers,

	John Gay