Re: nVidia card lockup upon changing from text mode to graphics

#include <hallo.h>
Gyula Lukacs wrote on Thu Mar 21, 2002 um 01:13:39PM:

> works fine and I see only garbage on the screen, can't swith to console
> back anymore. It happens in 10% on my nVidia Riva TNT 16MB card (Diamond
> Viper 550), with Intel 440BX chipset, 2.4.18, with & without the most
> recent nVidia drivers, xserver-xfree86 4.1.0-14 (and with every X
> 4.x.x).

I have a similar problem with my (cheap) Geforce-2MX card. From time to
time, in most cases if a second X server is running, or another
application using Overlay runs in backround, and I go to full-screen in
Mplayer, then after changing back to windows mode, everything is really
broken. I can still see the window of Mplayer somewhere on the screen,
but everything around it is screewed up, I see random shadows in the
color of my other windows. Everything works, I can close all
applications blindly, and shutdown the X-Server. I get my usuall text
console. BUT: When I run the X-Server again, I get the same screewed
picture of "shadows", only the mouse pointer looks okay. And if I
shutdown the X-Server this time, I get only a black picture unless I
restart the machine.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
And 1.1.81 is officially BugFree(tm), so if you receive any bug-reports
on it, you know they are just evil lies."