nVidia card lockup upon changing from text mode to graphics

Hi,

have you ever experienced $subject? The screen just 'hangs', the PC
works fine and I see only garbage on the screen, can't swith to console
back anymore. It happens in 10% on my nVidia Riva TNT 16MB card (Diamond
Viper 550), with Intel 440BX chipset, 2.4.18, with & without the most
recent nVidia drivers, xserver-xfree86 4.1.0-14 (and with every X
4.x.x).

Is it a know bug? Is there a workaround? Is there a method to 're-init'
the video card?

Thanks for the help in advance, Gyula