Re: testers wanted for xfree86 4.1.0-14pre15v3

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 01:37:05AM -0500, Scott Henson wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 19:04, Colin Watson wrote:
> > A qualified yes. I upgraded my i386/i810 system at work while X was
> > still running, and when I went to restart X the system hung (unpingable,
> > no logs anywhere of what went wrong). However, once I rebooted the new
> > version ran smoothly for the rest of the day, so if nothing particular
> > changed that might affect i810 cards then this incident could probably
> > be put down to cosmic rays.
>
> The same thing happened to me.  It hung on the first reboot(first time I
> restarted the X server since the upgrade).  It was totally dead.  I had
> to force the reboot.  Then when it came back up I told it to kill the x
> server from the start.  Then I realized that I had made some
> modifications by hand to the config files.  I went back in a did a
> dpkg-reconfigure on the x server.  I fixed the problem and then did a
> startx.  Everything went fine.  I thought it was something to do with my
> screw up, but if someone else is expierinceing it then perhaps its a bug
> of some sort.  I can downgrade and try the upgrade again if branden
> wants me too.  I have the time if anyone has a question.

I don't really have the time at work to go on a fishing expedition for
what might be wrong, but I'm happy to try specific tests if anybody
wants to suggest any.

I haven't had this kind of problem on previous upgrades. I usually
upgrade X while it's running, and with the exception of XFree86 3 -> 4
this has been fine in the past. (Maybe I've just been lucky?)