Trident display card

Hello,

A friend has a display card identified by lspci as:

00:0b.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems TGUI 9660/968x/968x (rev d3)

I tried the xfree4 "trident" driver, but it didn't display quite right.
(The display was ... um, "fragmented", though the mouse cursor moved
fine, iirc.)

Any ideas about this card? I guess I could also try 3.3.6. And what
XFree4 driver is the "general SVGA" one, if there is one? I saw "VGA",
which also gave some trouble (again: iirc), is "VGA" the generic driver?

Might it be that the driver is fine, I just have to play with vid modes
etc?

Any tips appreciated,
Hugo van der Merwe