Re: testers wanted for xfree86 4.1.0-14pre15v3

On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 19:04, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 05:55:18PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> >  xfree86 (4.1.0-14pre15v3) unstable; urgency=high
>
> A qualified yes. I upgraded my i386/i810 system at work while X was
> still running, and when I went to restart X the system hung (unpingable,
> no logs anywhere of what went wrong). However, once I rebooted the new
> version ran smoothly for the rest of the day, so if nothing particular
> changed that might affect i810 cards then this incident could probably
> be put down to cosmic rays.
>
> In my tests, 'apt-get dist-upgrade' from potato no longer wants to
> remove xbase-clients. Thanks!

The same thing happened to me.  It hung on the first reboot(first time I
restarted the X server since the upgrade).  It was totally dead.  I had
to force the reboot.  Then when it came back up I told it to kill the x
server from the start.  Then I realized that I had made some
modifications by hand to the config files.  I went back in a did a
dpkg-reconfigure on the x server.  I fixed the problem and then did a
startx.  Everything went fine.  I thought it was something to do with my
screw up, but if someone else is expierinceing it then perhaps its a bug
of some sort.  I can downgrade and try the upgrade again if branden
wants me too.  I have the time if anyone has a question.

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."