Re: MGA ( G400 ) DRI on an SMP box

    Terry> Juergen Kreileder wrote:
    >> However I still get random hangs with Q3A and deterministic
    >> hangs with any windowed GL application when the window gets un-
    >> and then remapped (e.g. when iconifying/deiconifying windows,
    >> or when switching between workspaces).

    Terry> I don't consider that working. I write windowed GL apps,
    Terry> and DRI has locked my machine with every release I
    Terry> tested. I ended up fixing the debian 4.0.2 and 3.3.6-20
    Terry> packages to play nice with each other.  I run 3.3.6 99%
    Terry> percent of the time, since I perfer utah-glx's stablity and
    Terry> speed.

Utah GLX worked perfectly here too but the MGA driver has some
limitations that make it more or less useless for Java3D.

    Terry> I think the only people it "works for" are just playing
    Terry> games or are on UP systems.  I haven't found anyone yet
    Terry> that can run a multicontext and/or windowed GL application
    Terry> yet on MGA DRI.  Thanks for your input, as I'm tracking the
    Terry> reports I hear with mental notes. ;)

I've switched to a GeForce 2 Ultra card some does ago.  I didn't have
any lockup with that card so far (although NVidia's page mentions some
SMP problems).  Also, the quality of rendering and speed is much
better.

        Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux.html