Re: missing char-major-226, related to Radeon ?

Steffen Neumann wrote:

> I have a quite recent woody system, X 4.1
> (exact package version is at home)
> and various kernel 2.4.[29] versions,
> among them stock kernel-image-2.4.9-k6_*.debs
>
> My syslog shows that the system doesn't know
> how to handle the char-major-226 device.
> The include/linux/major.h shows that the
> number is reserved, but not for what :-(
>
> Searching various lists and groups
> yields that it might have to do with
> <vague> the graphics subsystem </vague>,
> but I didn't find a real answer.

crw-rw----    1 root     dri      226,   0 Sep  2  1933 /dev/dri/card0

Are you trying to use the DRI? Do you have the radeon.o kernel module loaded
or can the X server load it (look in the server log)?

PS: This is not a user list, things like this are better suited for the
dri-user@lists.sf.net or newbie@XFree86.Org mailing lists.