XFree86 installation problem

Hi,

I have recently updated and upgraded to woody from potato.
I installed potato from cd's and did the upgrade on line.

It was really the first time I had used apt-get with an on line source,
so I may have botched something there, but all seems to be working
fine except XFree86 v4.1.  The problem with it is that when I try to start
the xserver locally (with 'startx') I get an error message saying

"X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X (No such file or directory), aborting.
giving up"

The file is not there, and I think it should be linked to something
(in /usr/X11R6/bin ??) but I'm not sure what to link it to.

I have several files in /usr/X11R6/bin but I want to link to the correct
one.
Is this dependent on the video hardware I have?  Any help is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry