missing char-major-226, related to Radeon ?

Hi,

I have a quite recent woody system, X 4.1
(exact package version is at home)
and various kernel 2.4.[29] versions,
among them stock kernel-image-2.4.9-k6_*.debs

My syslog shows that the system doesn't know
how to handle the char-major-226 device.
The include/linux/major.h shows that the
number is reserved, but not for what :-(

Searching various lists and groups
yields that it might have to do with
<vague> the graphics subsystem </vague>,
but I didn't find a real answer.

I know how to turn off the messages in modutils/aliases,
but that's not the point: what's causing it ?

Or am I completely on the wrong track ?

Yours,
Steffen