Re: Problems with DRI and i815

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 03:47:36PM +1000, Robert Norris wrote:
> My employer has just bought me a a HP Vectra VL400. It has an i815
> integrated video chip and 256Mb of RAM.
>
> I've installed sid on it, and have installed kernel 2.4.7 with the
> i810 DRI module. X (4.1.0, from sid) is starting fine, but according
> to glxinfo, DRI is not enabled.
[...]
> I've also tried starting Linux with the option "mem=240M", so to leave
> 16Mb unused for graphics. Still no change.

I doubt this is your problem, but this is unnecessary and can only be
harmful.  As I understand it, the kernel knows how to lease system RAM
to the AGP device; that's what the agpgart module is for.

> Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this working? According the
> DRI project documentation, the i815 should be supported with the i810
> driver.
>
> I've posted a logfile and my X config here:
>
> http://nauseum.org/x4-i810-dri/
>
> As far as I can tell from the logfile, the DRM is having some problems
> allocating memory. I don't know enough about the DRI stuff to be able
> to track down the problem though.

Thanks for using the debconf templates to generate your config file.

I suggest running dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86, and specifying
more video RAM for use by the video chip.  16MB sounds like a lot, but 3D
accelerate cards are astounding memory hogs, which is why you ssee them
shipping with 32 and even 64 megs of RAM these days.

If even that isn't enough, we probably have an upstream problem.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I must despise the world which does
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    not know that music is a higher