Re: FHS 2.2 public review re: XF86Config

JP> If XFree86 says `put this file here' and FHS says `put that file
JP> here instead', I'd be inclined to do what XFree86 says.

To my knowledge, the XFree86 core team has said no such thing.  While
I am not entitled to speak for the core team, I am pretty sure most
core team members don't give a damn about where you put your config
file.

The X server will search for in a dozen places or so; the default
search path may be found in

  xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/parser/scan.c

around line 575 (search for DEFAULT_CONF_PATH).

JP> It's common knowledge that the XFree86 X server defaults to
JP> looking for /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

No, it doesn't.  It searches for the config file in exactly twelve
(12) locations, including the one above.

JP> It is common knowledge that /etc/X11/XF86Config is the *old* name
JP> for the same file for old X servers.

I am not aware of the name XF86Config having been deprecated.  As far
as I know, both XF86Config-4 and XF86Config are fully supported names
for the config file.  The former has been added during the 3.9.* beta
cycle in order to simplify the life of distributions that want to
include both versions of the server.

I see no inconsistency between the FHS (which specifies the canonical
place for the config file) and the behaviour of the XFree86 servers
(which search for the config file in a number of places, including,
but not limited, in the FHS-mandated location).

Regards,

                                        Juliusz