FHS 2.2 public review re: XF86Config

Hi,

 I was just browsing the FHS 2.2 public review document and found this:

759 3.7.5.2  Specific Options
760
761 The following files, or symbolic links to files, must be in /etc/X11 if
762 the corresponding subsystem is installed:
763
764 Xconfig      The configuration file for early versions of XFree86 (optional)
765 XF86Config   The configuration file for XFree86 versions 3 and 4 (optional)

 but doesn't have a rationale.  The document doesn't clarify what
 "(optional)" means, but I take it to mean "it must not be present, but
 if it is, it must be called this".  Needless to say, this doesn't allow
 for simultaneaous installation of 3.3.x and 4.0 servers.

 Is anyone here aware of any ongoing discussion in this regard?  The
 public review page says:

 > Comments Due

 > All comments must be made before the following date: 09:00 in
 > Universal Coordinated Time, 31 March 2001.

 > Comment Instructions

 >   * All comments must be sent to fhs-discuss@ucsd.edu as plain text
 >     E-mail with the subject: BUGS in FHS 2.2-beta. Comments in other
 >     formats, such as HTML or proprietary word-processor formats, will
 >     not be accepted.

 >   * Comments must be in Aardvark format described in
 >     http://www.opengroup.org/austin/aardvark/.

 >   * All comments must indicate page numbers and line numbers
 >     shown in the text version of the specification. The text version
 >     is regarded as the definitive version of the specification. Any
 >     discrepancy found in the various formats of the specification will
 >     be resolved in favor of the text version.

 The text is available at
 http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2-beta/review.html

--
Marcelo