Re: FHS 2.2 public review re: XF86Config

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 10:37:07PM +0100, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> >> Jon Pennington <dren@whack.org> writes:
>
>  > I was under the impression that the XFree86 rules would override FHS
>  > rules, at least until FHS is back up to speed on what applications
>  > need to run.
>
>  a) I don't get whay you mean; b) this is FHS "getting up to speed"

I'm not an expert, but it looks like FHS is either out of date or out of touch with the projects they aim to manage.  If XFree86 says `put this file here' and FHS says `put that file here instead', I'd be inclined to do what XFree86 says.  It's common knowledge that the XFree86 X server defaults to looking for /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  It is common knowledge that /etc/X11/XF86Config is the *old* name for the same file for old X servers.  FHS needs to update their documents.

>  > In accordance with this (mis?)conception, XF86Config-4
>  > is the default configuration file for XFree86 4.0 and newer, with
>  > XF86Config being a fallback option.
>
>  That's how the 4.0 Xserver behaves, yes, but that's not what's going
>  into the FHS 2.2, it seems.

And I firmly believe that this is a big, steaming pot of horse crap. (Pardon my conviction.)

--
-=|JP|=-    "This space intentionally left blank."
Jon Pennington          | Debian 2.4                 -o)