Re: BYOX - successfully built 4.0.99.1 debs

The following process works (after a very long build process) to get
xfree86 4.0.99.1 debs. They seem to work (I'm running with
xserver-xfree86 and xserver-common from these now) but I make absolutely
no claims as to quality. I did all of this as root, which is naughty but
it worked.

# apt-get build-dep xserver-xfree86
(I got 4.0.2-7)
# apt-get source xserver-xfree86
# cvs -r xf-4_0_99_1 co xc
# tar zcvf xfree86-4.0.99.1.tar.gz xc
# cd xfree86-4.0.2
# mv upstream/archives/xfree*.tar.gz ..
# mv debian/patches/400_alpha_support.diff ..
(do the same for a bunch of other patches - basically all the ones that
fail when you run the "debian/rules binary" line below. You can just
repeat that step after moving each failed patch out of the way...)
# mv ../xfree86-4.0.99.1.tar.gz upstream/archives
# vi debian/changelog
(add a new line for 4.0.99.1-0local1 by myself)
# debian/rules binary
(binary-server seems to fail because it doesn't build libXext but it
does try to link against it. This could be a bug or a side-effect of the
fact that I'm building an unreleased source)

This build fails with a manifest error, which can be resolved by copying
MANIFEST.i386.new to MANIFEST.i386. Backup MANIFEST.i386 first though,
because you need to diff it and modify a few of the .files files to
account for changed names. Do a diff -u and look for lines beginning
with "-". With a bit of guesswork and grepping it's easy to identify
which package each of those should have been in; change the relevant
xxx.files or xxx.files.i386 file as appropriate.

re-run debian/rules binary and you should get working packages (at
least, xserver-common and xserver-xfree86 are working for me right now).

Anyone who is interested in the resulting debs, please send me email. I
don't have any convenient webspace to throw it onto.

Thanks
Stuart.