How to debug the X server?

[Please CC me]

I've finally upgraded my X server from 3.3.6 to 4.0.2.  The new server
runs fine but when I switch to the text console and back to X the
server freezes.  I can still log into the system from another machine
and reboot the system though.

I have an ELSA Victory Erazor AGP card (NVIDIA RIVA 128).  I'm
currently using Debian Woody and Linux 2.4.1.  Disabling the agpgart
and frame buffer devices doesn't help and with Linux 2.2.17, 2.4.0 and
2.4.2 (*) the X server freezes too.

I've downloaded the XFree86 Debian sources but I don't want to build
all the packages.  Is it possible to build only the X server?

Can anyone give me some hints on how to debug the X server?

--
(*) When I'm using Linux 2.4.2 the display is greyish in true color
modes.  But this seems to be another bug.