Re: BYOX (Build Your Own X) - again

Stuart Ballard wrote:

> What I did was as follows (from memory - I may have a filename or two
> wrong, as I'm not at the relevant machine right now. Later this evening
> I can post a full log):
>
> # apt-get build-dep xserver-xfree86
> # apt-get source xserver-xfree86
> # cvs -r xf-4_0_99_1 co xc
> # tar zcvf xfree86-4.0.99.1.tar.gz xc
> # cd xfree86-4.0.2
> # mv upstream/archives/xfree*.tar.gz ..
(new step here - this patch fails to apply cleanly)
# mv debian/patches/400_alpha_support.diff ..
> # mv ../xfree86-4.0.99.1.tar.gz upstream/archives
> # vi debian/scripts/patch.apply
> (comment out the "exit 1" line - some patches are bound to fail with a
> new version of the upstream source)
> # vi debian/changelog
> (add a new line for 4.0.99.1-0local1 by myself)
> # debian/rules binary-xserver
> (because I only care about the server)

The build now proceeds for quite a while and eventually dies with an
error about not being able to find -lXext. I notice that libXext is in
the xlibs and xlibs-dev packages, which presumably are built from the
same source tree as I'm working with now, so I shouldn't need to have
them installed. Any tips on what I'm doing wrong? Do I need the
xlibs/xlibs-dev packages installed anyway? (I can post a full log, but
not from the computer I'm at now... I'll do this later if it would be
helpful)

> (btw, the 4.0.2 packages I'm working with are the latest as of
> yesterday, which were 4.0.2-7. All of this was done as root, which I
> know isn't ideal but I'm concerned about getting it *working* first).

Thanks for any advice,
Stuart.