Re: [Xpert]How to debug the X server?

On 4 Mar 2001, Andreas Voegele wrote:

> [Please CC me]
>
> I've finally upgraded my X server from 3.3.6 to 4.0.2.  The new server
> runs fine but when I switch to the text console and back to X the
> server freezes.  I can still log into the system from another machine
> and reboot the system though.

   Did the server segfault or is it still running?  Make sure
your shell has core dumps turned on.  If it segfaulted run gdb
on the core:

   gdb -c core /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86

If it's still running run it on the process.

   gdb /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86  pid_of_X_process

> I have an ELSA Victory Erazor AGP card (NVIDIA RIVA 128).  I'm
> currently using Debian Woody and Linux 2.4.1.  Disabling the agpgart
> and frame buffer devices doesn't help and with Linux 2.2.17, 2.4.0 and
> 2.4.2 (*) the X server freezes too.
>
> I've downloaded the XFree86 Debian sources but I don't want to build
> all the packages.  Is it possible to build only the X server?
>
> Can anyone give me some hints on how to debug the X server?

   There's a special version of gdb on the xpert ftp site.  You'll
need that or else it won't be able to debug the modules.  From
the gdb propt type:

  module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules

and it will load the XFree86 modules.  The a normal backtrace (type "bt")
should work.  It will show where it crashed or got hung at.  Without
the special version of gdb all the functions in modules appear as question
marks.  I'm not aware of any problems with the nv driver on Riva 128
in the 4.0.2 server so I don't have a clue what the problem is.
Finding where it crashed at may give a clue.

				Mark.