S3 Virge driver

This is a (sort of) followup to Robert Norris message about its trouble with its Virge-MX and the s3virge driver.

I use an old "generic" S3 board using a 86C365 and thus claiming to be a Trio 3D. Until now, the 3.3.6 svga worked fine.

After a lot of fight with apt-get upgrade (thanks to broken dependencies between debconf and perl-5.6, grrr ....), I upgraded to Sid. I had trouble configuring XFree. My setup is functional and uses the s3virge driver of XFree 4.02, but ...

When X stops, my system crashes (stock 2.2.18-pre21 as it comes with 2.2r2). Hard ! (pinging it from another system gets no answer).

I looked at the docs and mailing lists archives 'till I grew blue, but saw nothing that could help me understand the problem. The only suggestion, which, AFAICT is a band-aid, is to use the vesa driver. I'll try that. I will also give a try to the "pci-burst" "noaccel" and "usefb" "no" suggestions.

But I think that something in the s3virge driver ticks a bug either in my hardware or in the 2.2.18 kernel.

What do you think ?

                  Emmanuel Charpentier

PS : Please CC your answers to my personal address : I am not subscribed to the list, and where I live, the mailing list archive is sometime hard to reach ...