Re: xfree86-1 3.3.6-3; 3 down, 3 to go

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 02:29:30PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 04:44:36PM +0100, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > > Ok thanks, ...
> > >
> > > i managed to build it in ~600MBs, being root and all so it will use the extra
> > > space also, and removing stuff as it goes, specially the upstream source. But
> > > it never passed the build stage even so.
> > >
> > > Does the packages contain the fbdev-dpms.patch and kbdrate.patch i was sent
> > > when 3.3.6-1 was out ?
> >
> > I'm not familiar with these, what are they?
>
> i got a message from someone telling me about this two patches. Apparently
> kbdrate.patch is needed on some macs since the kbdrate changes in Xfree. I
> have no macs, and lost my mail archive, so i don't know if this is still true
> with 3.3.6-3, please someone from the debian-powerpc list test it.

They mess directly with the (assumed PC-style) keyboard hardware, which breaks
horribly on machines that don't have such hardware. This patch definitely has
to go in.

> The second patch fbdev-dpms.patch contains a patch to have dpms aware fbdev
> Xserver. Since i cannot compile, i couldn't test it.

I never tried that patch, but it's needed to make use of the power save ioctl
in frame buffer devices.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} -- geert@linux-m68k.org