Re: X 4.0 snapshots

Hi all...  just a few comments on X 4.0...

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 08:54:51AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> [snip]
>
> In any case, I'm going to have to come up with some policy regarding the
> naming of these things, as I have no intention of trying to keep up with
> every non-free (or even free) third-party server module for XFree86 4.0.
> But the policy will need to wait until we're out of the vaporware stage.
>
> [snip]
>

> > The other libs could go into /usr/X11R6.4/lib, and users testing that
> > could actually put that into their LD_LIBRARY_PATH; that's what I've
> > been doing, which works except that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is ignored for
> > setuid programs, which bit me on xterm.

This should be interesting...  I'm thinking that the /usr/X11R6.4 way is the way to go...  then automagically set LD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly (maybe in startx and startx.4?).  For setuid programs, hmmm....  I have a few setuid programs I use quite a bit, and they seem to work OK...

I've hacked /etc/ld.so.conf to include the 3.9.17 libs before the 3.3.6 libs...

hmmm.. thought...  have a script that switches which Xserver you use...  it'd only need to change ld.so.conf, run ldconfig, change which XF86Config you're using, change /etc/X11/Xserver to point to the correct server, and change your PATH to point to the correct bin/ for the server.  I think that would be sufficient, and would allow for both X servers to be installed..

> [snip]
>
> I am not planning on supporting multiple installations of X at once.  It's
> going to lead to a rat's nest of problems that I really, really want to
> avoid.  Just managing the transition from 3.3.x to 4.0 is going to be bad
> enough.
>
> [snip]

I don't think that'll be much of a problem.  If you put X 4 on a seperate server (like was done for the 3.3.5 (or was it .4?) stuff), and announce it on -devel with a *lot* of warnings, you should be ok...

AFA pkg names, I would suggest calling anything 4.0-related X4-*, and later on change it to X-*, when 4.0 really does come out.  The only snag I can think of is the support for people who have unsupported video cards for 4.0...  maybe change 3.3.6 to be X3-*, and check what video card is already set up, so as not to clobber the X config, then warn the user to start using X3-* for their Xserver.  Either that, or just use dpkg to do it automagically... (oh boy, fun!!!).  But that's for a later point in time...

Sorry for the long-windedness...  I do tend to ramble...  =)

-- andyw