Re: X 4.0 snapshots

Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> The easiest way of doing things for now, is to package just the Xserver,
> and stuff related, in a way compatible to 3.3.6 packaging. It is
> possible to use 3.9.x server together with 3.3 other stuff.

That seems like a good start, although we'll need to get the modules
stuff right, too, so it won't just be one binary.

> And anyway, it is the server that is most important.

Well, I've been testing the xlib stuff, too... there have been some
changes there, and, in particular, the switch from select() to poll()
broke netscape. For the most part, though, I agree with you, and a lot
of what I got stuck on was deciding which debian patches I should or
shouldn't migrate from 3.3.6 to 3.9, and this will reduce a lot of
them (like the debianization of xterm).

> My suggestion (see previous mail on it) would be tyo install the server
> in /usr/X11R6.4 and to maybe patch the server so it reads
> /etc/X11/XF86Config.4 or something such. This way, it would be easy to
> have both server installed and running, without problem.

The other libs could go into /usr/X11R6.4/lib, and users testing that
could actually put that into their LD_LIBRARY_PATH; that's what I've
been doing, which works except that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is ignored for
setuid programs, which bit me on xterm.

I had thought about making /usr/X11R6 a symbolic link to either
/usr/XF366 or /usr/XF3917 or what have you, but enough programs put
things into /usr/X11R6/bin and friends that it would probably be a
pain. Also, people would need to run ldconfig when they swapped the
link. It would, though, allow for testing of the whole 4.0 system,
which would be very desirable. It's also worth noting that some cards
from 3.3.6 are not supported in 4.0, so we need to think about making
sure that apt doesn't decide to squash someone's X
setup. Unfortunately, for some servers, the breakdown of what is or
isn't supported by 4.0 doesn't match the way that the servers are
split up in 3.3.*, e.g. some but not all ATI cards are supported, so
we can't use xserver-4 provides xserver-ati.

I strongly advocate building the server as modules, although I can
imagine some people wanting to have several static servers... I think
we should start with the modular, though (but maybe I'm biased by
having that set up on my machine already...)

			my $0.02

				- M

--
Mark "Monty" Montague | monty@gg.caltech.edu  | I don't do Windows(tm)
       Give me a perl pocket ref, and I'll give you the world.