Re: X 4.0 snapshots

Andy Ward <andyw@keyhole6.dyn.dhs.org> writes:

> Sorry if this has already been addressed.

It's been addressed, but I don't think anyone's produced anything
yet. I've been looking at it, but I'm unsure of which debian diffs to
3.3.6 should be applied to 3.9.17, and I've also found that I get
confused about some of the packaging scripts for 3.3.6 debs, since
debian splits things up differently from vanilla 3.3.6, which is split
up differently from 3.9.17. There seems to be some interest, but a
fair amount of befuddlement

> Is anyone going to do a set of pkgs for the X 4.0 snapshots?  I
> currently have 3.9.17 running on my system, but I'd like to replace
> 3.3.6 with 3.9.17, and I don't have the .deb expertise to know how
> to do it.  If someone would like to teach me how, I'd be willing to
> do a pkg myself, although I'm not real sure how well I could do it.

I'm in about the same boat; I occasionally try to put something
together, get confused, and leave it for a while. At least I am
getting closer with each attempt, though...

Last time I asked Branden about it, he hadn't looked at the 3.9 stuff
much, so I don't know if he has formed an opinion on how the changes
in 3.9 should be reflected in the packaging.

I also have been thinking that it would be very nice to have 3.9 not
conflict with 3.3.6, so that people can experiment with one while
using the other. This is kind of a nightmare, though; I'm doing it by
hand, so dpkg doesn't know about my 3.9 tree at all right now, but
ldconfig does know about the 3.9 libs, and for some packages I need to
use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to force which shared libs get used.

Also, it's worth noting that there are still a number of cards and a
few X extensions that 3.9 doesn't support yet, and that the new design
involves loadable server modules for both drivers and extensions, as
well as support and integration with fbdev.

I'd be interested in some collaboration and discussion on this
packaging... is there anyone out there who has a more solid plan for
3.9 already?

				- M
--
Mark "Monty" Montague | monty@gg.caltech.edu  | I don't do Windows(tm)
       Give me a perl pocket ref, and I'll give you the world.