Re: truetype XF4.0x

On Wednesday, 27. December 2000 22:30, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> MM> So conclusion ist that once you start supplying just one line, the
> MM> compiled in path do not longer seem to work.
>
> More precisely, the user-supplied fontpath overrides the compiled-in
> default.
Hm, but just supplying one fontpath, i.e. a ttf fontpath lets the server
assume that all other default fontpaths are obsolete. I just thought that
they were cumulative. But after a little thinking, I thought that maybe
because of certain reasons, perhaps security, it is nice to let the xserver
forget about all others fontpaths by default by just supplying one.
> MM> Is this a bug or a feature ?
>
> A feature.  Do you have a suggestion for a more useful behaviour?
Not yet. Working ....:-)

> MM> Is [xfs] useful by any chance ? At all ?
>
> It is useful in certain situations.  For example, some people like to
> have a tiny machine on their desk and keep everything that's CPU- or
> disk-intensive in their basement.  With a font server, you can run the
> font rasterisers on a different machine from the one you're sitting
> at.
Sure, got that. But on the other hand I don't exactly know what could eat up
ressources in the font serving. Meaning what performance gains can be
expected by using a font server. I can only understand that using a font
server is useful for adminitration purposes, so you can centrally administer
all fonts. But else ?

> Unless you know what you're doing, you should probably not be running
> a font server.
Greetings

Michael Meding