[raphaelh@easynet.fr: Problem with your Debian packages]

----- Forwarded message from Raphaël HALIMI <raphaelh@easynet.fr> -----

From: Raphaël HALIMI <raphaelh@easynet.fr>
To: mbaker@iee.org, branden@debian.org, tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk,
	fpolacco@debian.org
Subject: Problem with your Debian packages
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:24:27 +0100

Hello gentlemen.

I have a problem with your packages, that's why I contacted the four of
you (sorry for the bad english, I'm french...)

The problems seems to come from xlibs, but I'm not sure.

When I do my daily apt-get upgrade (I work with Woody), the
configuration of xlibs fails, and then it avoids many other packages to
configure.

I'm sorry, I haven't saved the output, but the problem happened twice,
each time during an upgrade.

The error is a "broken pipe" type. As far as I remember, it (xlibs) tries
to remove a symlink, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults IIRC, but this one is
owned by some other packages (awe-midi, groff, and xcolorsel, that's why
I contacted you too). So the trick is : remove xcolorsel and awe-midi,
remove (with force-depends) groff ('cause I don't want to remove all
other packages that depneds on it), and then do an apt-get -f upgrade.
It will detect that groff is missing, reinstall it, then all the
configuration is done properly (although groff is instaled before xlibs
is configured, whereas it was precisely the problem when groff was
installed). Then, I reinstall awe-midi and xcolorsel.

If the problem happens again (I think it will, since it happened twice
in 2 upgrades where xlibs was to be upgraded), I'll try to save the
complete output to help you finxing this.

If you want some precisions, feel free to ask me, I'll try to anwser
ASAP (but remember, it's only based from memories).

Best regards,

--
Raphaël HALIMI

----- End forwarded message -----

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    It's not a matter of alienating authors.
Debian GNU/Linux               |    They have every right to license their