Re: [mongoose@users.sourceforge.net: X upgrade policy]

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Terry 'Mongoose' Hendrix II wrote:

> Who uses dselect anymore?

Call me "Mr. Stone-age", but I do still use dselect sometimes.

>  This is about a package maintianers *duty to
> account for _likely conflicts_.

Ok, this gets me a bit upset.  There are always unforeseen (or just plain
forgotten-about) conflicts that come up.  I've been guilty myself of
uploading packages that turned out to have horrid bugs in them (which I
quickly corrected, but never heard the end of it), but no maintainer that
I know purposely releases something maliciously to wreck a user's setup.

Also, you seem to forget that us Debian maintainers are VOLUNTEERS.  I
have sacrificed quite a bit to this project in general, and have spent
countless cpu cycles trying to make sure that the new X packages worked
well on Alpha (including over 36 hours of patching so far).  To say that I
have a *duty* to do this is moderately insulting since this work has taken
time away from my family, my hobbies, and my other interests.  From your
argument, if I happen to upload a bad package before going on holiday, I
should be flamed to death....